Be Local is brought to you by REAP.
We're an association for locally owned businesses that care about the community and the planet.
Be an Agent of Change!
Help local businesses grow with your next move.
Join REAP's network!
Become a member business or non-profit today.
May 04, 2016
1) Send mom to the spa to relax and rejuvenate. SwizzleSticks SalonSpa and Leela Eco Spa go the extra mile to ensure special care of each guest while exercising care for the environment.
2) Savour a delicious brunch, lunch or dinner with mom at Big Fish, Boxwood, Cassis Bistro, Chef’s Table, CRAFT restaurant + beer market, Home & Away, Open Range, River Café, Suzette, or Yellow Door Bistro. These restaurants are committed to serving fresh, wholesome food that’s local and sustainable so you can nourish quality time with mom while also nourishing her health. Don’t forget to make a reservation! (Wherever you’re taking mom out, be sure to order any Mealshare item you find on the menu to provide a meal to someone in need at the Drop-In Centre. Mealshare partners with 50 restaurants in Calgary alone, so you won’t have a hard time finding one.)
3) Give mom a break and have Fulfilled deliver ingredients for a tasty meal (that you will prepare) straight to your door. Pick up a bottle of organic or biodynamic wine from J. Webb Wine Merchant to accompany the meal and really blow her socks off.
4) Looking for a food experience that isn’t dining out? Alberta Food Tour experiences will give mom a taste of Calgary’s local culinary scene. At Fiasco Gelato’s Gelato Academy she’ll learn how to make authentic gelato from locally sourced ingredients and get four pints of her own delicious creation to take home. Take a family cooking class with Poppy Innovations for an educational and fun activity that will get your kids excited about eating healthy food!
5) Help mom reveal her natural beauty with organic, natural skincare products from Lowen’s Skincare, Neal’s Yard Remedies, and Rocky Mountain Soap Company.
6) For all the funky, fashion-forward mommas out there, WorldTown Cosmetics has Canadian ethical makeup in every conceivable shade. Resident makeup artist Nicole Speer will provide tutorials and applications to help your mom (literally) sparkle. Community Natural Foods’ downtown location also offers make-up consultations. Don’t forget the gift card so that she can take home her favourite make up.
7) Schedule a family photo shoot with Jodi O Photography to capture family memories to last a lifetime.
8) Alberta Apparel makes versatile clothing from sustainable fabrics, which is produced in and inspired by Alberta. Give mom Calgary’s Localest T-shirt for a luxurious addition to her wardrobe that reflects the place she loves.
9) If mom suffers from any health concerns, check out the services offered by Amber Approved, Dr. For Moms, Dr Marianne Trevorrow, Intrinsi or Posana Integrative Wellness and arrange a gift certificate that will get mom back on the road to wellness. After all, keeping mom healthy is an investment in the well-being of the entire family!
10) For a gorgeous and meaningful piece of handmade jewelry made here in Calgary, check out Alora Boutique (we recommend the “Mother and Child” necklace). Mañana Imports has beautiful, hand-made, ethically sourced jewelry imported from around the world.
11) For unique, sustainable gifts to bring joy and style to mom’s space, visit ReWorks Upcycle Shop at Calgary Farmer’s Market and Goldgrass Home in Inglewood. You’ll find all sorts of home decor and accessories to make mom smile.
12) Take the kids to greengate garden centre throughout the Mother’s Day weekend so they can have fun hand crafting a hanging planter basket made especially for mom – for free.
13) Looking for an active way to spend time with Mom? Check out the 21st annual Mother’s Day Walk & Run with proceeds going to support Calgary Health Trust’s Neonatal Intensive Care Health Units or join a Jane’s Walk to explore the neighbourhoods, history and sense of community that make Calgary unique.
Take in our list of gift ideas and see if there’s something that might suit the mom you plan to celebrate this Sunday, May 8th.
Be sure to make some space in your schedule this weekend to spend some quality time with mom. After all, that’s the most important gift of all!
Did you know?
greengate EXPO - Calgary's Kick Off to Spring
14111 Macleod Trail South