The Be Local Awards are a fun way to share your love for local business!
From August through October each year you can visit our directory of Calgary's best local businesses and vote for your favourites!
These 2016 winners were recognized at an awards ceremony on November 16 in 8 award categories:
- Favourite micro business: Given to the REAP business with 1-4 employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2016 winner: Alberta Apparel.
- Favourite small business: Given to the REAP business with 5-99 employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2016 winner: Neal's Yard Remedies.
- Favourite medium-large business: Given to the REAP business with 100+ employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2016 winner: Community Natural Foods.
- Favourite non-profit: Given to the REAP non-profit who receives the most votes through our website. 2016 winner: Green Calgary.
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program. 2016 winner: Imaginea Energy Corporation.
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to the REAP business that is building community economic development - a strong local economy that works better for more people. This business is rooted here and it shows in how it invests in people and places, purchases from fellow local businesses, provides valuable social benefit and supports the community. 2016 winner: Village Brewery.
- Empowering Communities Leader: Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP business who is also a Living Wage Leader, effecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty for its' employees and communities. Building richness and resilience includes paying a living wage, providing additional forms of compensation, promoting employee wellness, encouraging work-life balance and participating in broader community initiatives. 2016 winner: Fiasco Gelato.
- Environmental Transformation Leader: Presented by Green Knight Environmental to the REAP business that has made a compelling case, complete with financial due diligence, for the next initiative in its environmental strategy. The winner will receive the opportunity for financing for the proposed initiative through Green Knight's Green Advance program, creating significant environmental and financial benefit for the business. 2016 winner: Boks Farms.
During the Be Local Awards voting window, we publish two articles per day to Living Locally to share the stories of local impact that inspire your votes. Our weekly email newsletter features the top three most inspiring stories for that week as determined by a local celebrity. You must receive the weekly newsletter to learn which local businesses have captured the hearts of Calgary icons like Dave Kelly, Julie Van Rosendaal, and Olympian Mark Tewksbury! Click here to see our 2016 judges!
The 2016 Be Local Awards were made possible by our generous title sponsor: