The Be Local Awards are a fun way to share your love for local business!
From August 8-October 31, 2017 you can vote daily for one of 10 featured businesses that week. Just click on your favourite business from our homepage at BeLocal.org to show your support. Then watch for 10 new businesses to appear each Sunday at midnight.
The winners are recognized at an awards ceremony on at River Cafe in nine award categories:
- Favourite micro business: Given to the REAP business with 1-4 employees who receives the most votes through our website.
- Favourite small business: Given to the REAP business with 5-99 employees who receives the most votes through our website.
- Favourite medium-large business: Given to the REAP business with 100+ employees who receives the most votes through our website.
- Favourite non-profit: Given to the REAP non-profit who receives the most votes through our website.
- *New* Favourite all-star: Given to the previous year's Be Local Awards winner who receives the most votes through our website.
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program.
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to the REAP business that is building community economic development - a strong local economy that works better for more people. This business is rooted here and it shows in how it invests in people and places, purchases from fellow local businesses, provides valuable social benefit and supports the community.
- Empowering Communities Leader: Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP business who is also a Living Wage Leader, effecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty for its' employees and communities. Building richness and resilience includes paying a living wage, providing additional forms of compensation, promoting employee wellness, encouraging work-life balance and participating in broader community initiatives.
- B Corp Leader: Presented by Business Development Bank of Canada, awarded to the REAP member with a B Corp certification that also demonstrates active involvement with its community, employee practices, and environmental stewardship.
During the Be Local Awards voting window, we publish two articles per day to Living Locally to share the stories of local impact that inspire your votes. Our weekly email newsletter features the top three business with the most votes in their given week. You must receive the weekly newsletter to learn which local businesses have captured the top three spots each week!
The 2017 Be Local Awards were made possible by our generous title sponsor: