Down to Earth Week 2016
REAP’s 8th annual Down to Earth Week festival is a celebration of local fashion, impact investing and social innovation - proudly sponsored by First Calgary Financial.
Join us for these events from April 12-15, 2016 and connect with Calgary's localists and changemakers:
Sustainable Style YYC
April 12 from 5:00 - 7:00 pm
Civic On Third (130 - 3 Ave SE)
Ever wondered, “Who made my clothes?” Spend the evening with Calgary's leaders in sustainable fashion and cosmetics. Learn how they're collaborating to create beautiful, ethical fashion and personal care products that are making Calgary a more interesting and stylish place.
Discover how to wear your style with pride and make a fashion statement that conveys the human dignity and genuine care for all that surrounds you. You will also:
- Hear Thomas Mo from Alberta Apparel present the story of Calgary's Localest T-shirt - a limited edition piece created by Alberta Apparel for REAP's Down to Earth Week - and get the chance to win one.
- Hear Chad Zelensky from Lowen's Skincare present the story of the Be Local Lip Balm - created to support bumblebee rescue programs in Calgary - and get the chance to win one.
- Have the chance to win a Sustainable Style Refresh, including cut & colour, make-up application and spa manicure/pedicure from SwizzleSticks SalonSpa.
- Win other incredible prizes from a variety of local businesses.
- Learn about the importance of transparency in the fashion supply chain and the benefits of local sourcing.
- Meet these local designers and retailers to learn what ethical products are available in Calgary:
- Alberta Apparel - selling Calgary's Localest T-shirt on behalf of REAP
- Alora Boutique - handmade jewelry from recycled brass
- Casa Corazon - fairly traded goods from Guatemala
- Custom Woolen Mills - family owned, antique woolen textile mill
- Fond Boutique - style driven, curated collection of women's consignment clothing and accessories
- London Drugs - environmentally friendly personal care products and recycling services
- Lowen's Skincare - selling Be Local Lip Balms on behalf of REAP
- Making Changes Association's Walk In Closet - empowering women with knowledge & work attire to re-enter the workforce
- Manana Imports - direct trade clothing and accessories from artisans around the world
- Morengo - spinning wools and natural fibres into yarn
- Neal's Yard Remedies - organic skin care products
- Rocky Mountain Soap Company - all natural personal care products
- Studio Intent - ethically made women's clothing from Canadian designers
- SwizzleSticks SalonSpa - sustainably made personal care products and cosmetics by Aveda, Kevin Murphy and Jane Iredale
- The Clothing Bar - affordable women's consignment clothing
- Tribe of Lambs - ethical jewelry empowering youth at risk in India
- WorldTown Cosmetics - ethical and cruelty free beauty products by Fitglow Beauty and Lit Cosmetics
- Get tips for making your style more sustainable.
- Learn about the global movement that is Fashion Revolution Day.
- Enjoy locally sourced refreshments and live music.
Sustainable Style is hosted by REAP Business Association in partnership with Human Touch Events, SwizzleSticks SalonSpa and Studio Intent.
Capital for Cause: Views on Impact Investing
April 13 from 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
Eighth Avenue Place, Conference Rooms A&B (525 - 8 Ave SW, Floor4)
This half day summit brings together social impact investors with people who are interested in learning more about the The How and Why of Social Impact Investing. A multi-layered experience, a keynote presentation, panel discussion and working groups will provide participants with real-life examples of successful and unsuccessful social impact investments with a focus on what the investor learned. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Capital for Cause is hosted by Dexterity Consulting in partnership with REAP Business Association, Toniic, Dolan Wealth Management of Raymond James.
Awakened Company: Connecting Community & Prosperity
April 15 from 5:30 - 8:30 pm
Civic On Third (130 - 3 Ave SE)
Join us for an inspiring evening that showcases what it means to be an Awakened Company.
This event is for social entrepreneurs and business leaders of all industries who are looking to take the next step in their sustainability journey. Come to network and support your fellow Albertans who are working hard to launch and/or grow their business, shape our local community and make a positive impact for people and the planet.
Catherine Bell, author of The Awakened Company and Founder of BluEra, will make the business case for an awakened approach and a new economic model. Then five entrepreneurs, who are either starting or growing local businesses, will pitch their crowdfunding campaigns on the BoostR Stage. You decide which of the presenters will get a boost of $1,000 from ATB Financial.
Your ticket includes:
- Keynote presentation by Catherine Bell
- Copy of The Awakened Company, by Catherine Bell (Namaste Publishing 2015)
- 5 pitches from social entrepreneurs running an Alberta BoostR crowdfunding campaign
- 4 judges who will give candid feedback to the entrepreneurs pitching: Sandra Huculak, Managing Director, Corporate Social Responsibility & Community Investment, ATB Financial; Catherine Bell, author of The Awakened Company and Founder of BluEra; Meghan Dear, CEO & Founder of Localize; Jeff Loomis, Executive Director, Momentum
- A vote for which pitch will receive a $1,000 boost from ATB Financial
- Networking with 300 of Alberta's brightest business leaders and social entrepreneurs
- A seasonal, locally sourced dinner and cash bar
- Displays to help you connect with local partners who can help advance your business:
- Alberta Food Tours - food tourism business & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Alora Boutique - ethical jewelry boutique & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Awakened Company - company, team & individual coaching & leadership training
- BluPlanet Recycling - commercial waste diversion services
- Dorward & Company - Chartered Accountants
- Electronics Recycling Association (ERA) - electronics recycling & refurbishing for community donations
- Green Calgary - Green Workplace services
- Green Knight Environmental - Green Advance financing for your environmental initiatives
- Human Touch Events - green event planning & implementation services
- Lavish Bakery - social enterprise bakery & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Leftovers Foundation - feeding Calgary's hungry through food waste diversion & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Mosaic Communications - marketing services for sustainable business
- Rancho Relaxo Sustainable Farm - homestead resort & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Tak Tea - ancient medicinal tea & Alberta BoostR finalist
- Thrive - learning community for practitioners of community economic development
- Vital Partners - health benefits
Awakened Company is hosted by REAP Business Association in partnership with Alberta BoostR - ATB Financial's crowdfunding platform, Awakened Company, BluEra, Thrive and North Hill Centre. A limited number of subsidized tickets have been provided courtesy of Thrive.
New for 2016: Down to Earth Week All Access Pass
The All Access Pass gets you one ticket for all three Down to Earth Week events plus exclusive perks, like extra drinks and VIP opportunities to hobnob and get photos with our speakers. - showing that you really are among Calgary's local leaders in sustainability.
Your All Access Pass includes:
- 1 ticket to Sustainable Style YYC
- 1 ticket to Capital for Cause: Views on Impact Investing
- 1 ticket to Awakened Company: Connecting Community & Prosperity
- 1 Calgary's Localest T-shirt (retail price $60, men's and women's sizes available) - a limited edition piece created by Alberta Apparel for Down to Earth Week 2016
- 1 Be Local Lip Balm (retail price $6) - created by Lowen's Skincare to support bumblebee rescue programs in Calgary
- 10% savings over purchasing these items individually
- VIP treatment at each Down to Earth Week event
REAP's 8th annual Down to Earth Week is proudly sponsored by: