The Be Local Awards are a fun way to share your love for local business!
From July 24-August 31, 2018, REAP members will be applying for any of six Leadership Award categories, recognizing excellence in environmental and social sustainability. From September 17-October 26, 2018, the public will be voting on which nominees they think should win each award. The public voting accounts for a 10% weighting on the judges' decision.
The winners are recognized at an awards ceremony on at River Cafe in six award categories:
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program.
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to a REAP member that is building a thriving, resilient and inclusive economy for all.
- Empowering Employees Leader (formerly Empowering Communities Leader): Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP member that is effecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty through employee-centered practices that build resilience. These may include but are not limited to paying a living wage, providing additional forms of compensation, financial literacy and employee wellness programs.
- B Corp Leader: Presented by Business Development Bank of Canada, awarded to the REAP member with a B Corp certification that also demonstrates active involvement with its community, employee practices, and environmental stewardship.
- Diversity & Inclusion Leader: Presented by Universal Access and Prospect Human Services to a REAP member that values the perspectives and contributions of all people and incorporate diverse needs, assets and insight into the design and implementation of universal and inclusive programs. Inclusive organizations recruit and retain diverse staff to reflect the composition of the communities they serve and provide conducive work environments to support their inclusive hiring policies.
- Communications Leader: Presented by GOOD Company Graphic Design to a REAP member that has demonstrated the most effective use of design to communicate impact and/or encourage engagement.
The 2018 Be Local Awards were made possible by our generous title sponsor: