The Be Local Awards are a fun way to share your love for local business!
From July 24-August 31, 2018, REAP members applied for any of six Leadership Award categories, recognizing excellence in environmental and social sustainability. From September 17-October 26, 2018, the public voted on which nominees they think should win each award. The public voting accounted for a 10% weighting on the judges' decision.
The winners were recognized at an awards ceremony on at River Cafe in six award categories:
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program. 2018 winner: Stephanie Hrehirchuk for her efforts to promote environmental stewardship in children through her books, and planting trees with each copy sold.
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to a REAP member that is building a thriving, resilient and inclusive economy for all. 2018 winner: Bite Grocer and Eatery for its dedication to community engagement through food.
- Empowering Employees Leader (formerly Empowering Communities Leader): Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP member that is effecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty through employee-centered practices that build resilience. These may include but are not limited to paying a living wage, providing additional forms of compensation, financial literacy and employee wellness programs. 2018 winner: Fiasco Gelato for its commitment to supporting its employees and encouraging physical and psychological wellbeing through participation in the Virgin Pulse Challenge.
- B Corp Leader: Presented by Business Development Bank of Canada, awarded to the REAP member with a B Corp certification that also demonstrates active involvement with its community, employee practices, and environmental stewardship. 2018 winner: Fiasco Gelato for its commitment to embodying B Corp values and thriving in the face of adversity.
- Diversity & Inclusion Leader: Presented by Universal Access and Prospect Human Services to a REAP member that values the perspectives and contributions of all people and incorporate diverse needs, assets and insight into the design and implementation of universal and inclusive programs. Inclusive organizations recruit and retain diverse staff to reflect the composition of the communities they serve and provide conducive work environments to support their inclusive hiring policies. 2018 winner: Versett for its commitment to promoting empathic practices and inclusive employment strategies both within its own office and beyond through public sharing of its own research.
- Communications Leader: Presented by GOOD Company Graphic Design to a REAP member that has demonstrated the most effective use of design to communicate impact and/or encourage engagement. 2018 winner: Juice Creative recognizing its video PSA for the Calgary Centre for Sexuality for its production quality and emotional impact.
The 2018 Be Local Awards were made possible by our generous title sponsor: