The Be Local Awards are a fun way to share your love for local business!
From August 8-October 29, 2017 people voted daily for one of 10 featured businesses that week, with 10 new businesses to appearing each Sunday at midnight.
The winners were recognized at an awards ceremony on at River Cafe in nine award categories:
- Favourite micro business: Given to the REAP business with 1-4 employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2017 winner: JMK Admin Services
- Favourite small business: Given to the REAP business with 5-99 employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2017 winner: Intrinsi
- Favourite medium-large business: Given to the REAP business with 100+ employees who receives the most votes through our website. 2017 winner: DIRTT Environmental Solutions
- Favourite non-profit: Given to the REAP non-profit who receives the most votes through our website. 2017 winner: Calgary Reads
- Favourite all-star: Given to the previous year's Be Local Awards winner who receives the most votes through our website. 2017 winner: Community Natural Foods
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program. 2017 winner: TreeEra, for their commitment to reducing carbon footprints through the simple act of planting trees.
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to the REAP business that is building community economic development - a strong local economy that works better for more people. This business is rooted here and it shows in how it invests in people and places, purchases from fellow local businesses, provides valuable social benefit and supports the community. 2017 winner: Universal Access, for their commitment to creating a more accessible world for all people.
- Empowering Communities Leader: Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP business who is also a Living Wage Leader, effecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty for its' employees and communities. Building richness and resilience includes paying a living wage, providing additional forms of compensation, promoting employee wellness, encouraging work-life balance and participating in broader community initiatives. 2017 winner: Community Natural Foods, for its commitment to creating an inclusive, unbiased hiring policy to coincide with its corporate culture.
- B Corp Leader: Presented by Business Development Bank of Canada, awarded to the REAP member with a B Corp certification that also demonstrates active involvement with its community, employee practices, and environmental stewardship. 2017 winner: BluPlanet Recycling, for its commitment to reducing waste in Calgary while also promoting giving back to the community, and looking out for its employees’ wellbeing.
During the Be Local Awards voting window, we publish two articles per day to Living Locally to share the stories of local impact that inspire your votes. Our weekly email newsletter features the top three business with the most votes in their given week. You must receive the weekly newsletter to learn which local businesses have captured the top three spots each week!
The 2017 Be Local Awards were made possible by our generous title sponsor: