Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Personal Care Products / Business Services / Community / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness
15 Women-led businesses that inspire us on International Women’s Day
Celebrating International Women's Day 2020
International Women’s Day is on Sunday, March 8th, celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.
This year, we are highlighting some of the incredible women in our network, and the businesses they’ve created:
- Ngozi Enyi, founder of Beyond Paper Bookkeeping -- An entirely women-run bookkeeping firm, Beyond Paper specializes in making deep connections with clients and helping them see “beyond the paper” every tax season.
- Steacy Collyer, CEO of Calgary Reads -- A non-profit dedicated to the research and improvement of childhood literacy rates and fostering a love of reading for all Calgarians, especially in low-income communities.
- Claudia Tecuceanu, founder of Claudia T Photography -- A lifestyle and headshot photographer with a penchant for showcasing women in all their forms -- professional, at home, at events, and boudoir.
- Sal Howell, owner of Deane House & River Cafe -- These two restaurants are dedicated to creating unique, hyperlocal dining experiences in the heart of downtown Calgary.
- J’Val Shuster, founder of Devour Catering -- A catering company on a mission to create memorable experiences for all of life’s celebrations.
- Megan Stanley, founder of Dogma Training & Pet Services -- Specializing in training reactive dogs in “real world” scenarios with highly trained staff, Dogma Training & Pet Services works to create harmony between humans and dogs.
- Evelyne Nayiro, founder of Ellie Bianca -- A skincare company built by women for women, Ellie Bianca provides a living wage and meaningful work for women in Evelyne’s home country of Chad.
- Rachel Ward, owner of Hope Cleaning -- A cleaning company with purpose, Hope Cleaning helps women in vulnerable situations get back on their feet through meaningful, flexible, and safe work.
- Jo Kelly, founder of JMK Admin Services -- Besides customized bookkeeping and administrative services, former Paralympian Jo Kelly is dedicated to reducing the stigma of disabilities and helping create inclusive workplaces.
- Annie Cole, founder of Muttley Crue -- A lifelong dog-lover, Annie offers “groom and board” to four-legged companions from her facility in Northeast Calgary.
- Swantje Macke-Monteiro, founder of SAMM European Design -- Combining a love for design with a passion for sustainability, Swantje is an interior designer dedicated to creating beautiful spaces that are kind to the earth.
- Stephanie Jackman, founder of Stephanie Jackman Consulting -- With decades of experience uplifting sustainable businesses, Stephanie Jackman helps businesses think clearly about brand strategy, social procurement, and business development.
- Andrea Shandro & Jennifer Kirby, co-founders of Vital Partners -- This women-led insurance brokerage is dedicated to finding benefits solutions for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Christina Skiftun, founder of Yoga Care -- Bringing yoga to the people who need it most, Yoga Care is a mobile studio serving schools, offices, and care facilities.
- Lisa Graham, founder of YYC Beeswax -- Combining passions for the arts and her bees, Lisa often supports school music programs through sales of her beeswax products.
- Click the links above to learn more about these women and their businesses.
- Strike the #EachforEqual pose. Click here to learn more about this year’s theme for International Women’s Day and how you can make a difference.