Alberta Apparel and friends lead the Fashion Revolution in Calgary
Fashion Revolution Week highlights changemaking in the apparel industry
Fashion Revolution YYC is a five-night event series spotlighting sustainable fashion and industry practices from April 23-27th recognizing the global movement, Fashion Revolution Day, that honours the anniversary of the collapsed clothing factory in Bangladesh in 2013.
“As a local apparel company, we want to ensure we are at the forefront of what’s happening in the industry and that we are able to provide the information and solutions people are looking for from their clothes,” says Tommy Mo, founder of Alberta Apparel and one of the lead organizers of the series.
Tommy and the team of volunteer organizers have slated the following events for this year:
- Local Designers and Industry Gallery Show – April 23-27th 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at cSpace: Featuring a rotating cast of local designers and their creations.
- Introduction to Sustainability and Ethics in Fashion – April 23rd 6-8 p.m. at Patagonia: An information session and panel speaking on supply chain management, fair trade, and transparent practices in the fashion industry. Sponsored by Neal’s Yard Remedies, True Buch, and Fair Trade Calgary.
- Sewing Fashion Futures: Panel Discussion – April 24th 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the New Central Library: A conversation examining the shift towards sustainability and slow-fashion for both designers and consumers.
- Open Studio Sessions – April 24th 6-9 p.m. at Assemble Work/Shop: An open house evening for makers to utilize the clothing workshop at cSpace.
- Clothing Swap – April 25th 6-8 p.m. at the ATB Entrepreneur Centre: Swap gently-used clothes while listening to presentations from professional organizer Helen Youn and founder of Velour Clothing Exchange Myra Miller. Sponsored by Alberta Apparel.
- Maker Tour – April 26th 12:30-6:30 p.m.: Get a behind-the-scenes look at how clothes made in Calgary are manufactured, dyed, woven, and designed on a bus tour to maker’s spaces around the city. Event concludes with a screening of River Blue and a light dinner at Brasserie.
- Film Screening of River Blue – April 26th 7-9 p.m. at the Plaza Theatre: River Blue follows the history and impact of the denim industry on the environment and the communities near its manufacturing facilities.
- Repair Café – April 27th 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Assemble Work/Shop: Learn how to make your own repairs and modifications to your clothes to make them serve you longer.
- Fashion Revolution: A Celebration – April 27th 7-10 p.m. at cSpace: Celebrate another year of Fashion Revolution with food and drinks, art, and frivolity. Door prizes include Neal’s Yard Remedies, Alberta Apparel, and Lowen’s Skincare goodies.
“We want to create that space for people so that they can find what they need here first before looking to other parts of the world.”
- Click here for all the events and ticket information for Fashion Revolution YYC.
- Connect with Fashion Revolution on social media with the hashtag #whomademyclothes
- Check out Alberta Apparel’s catalogue of Alberta-inspired Canadian wear.
- Check out Alberta Apparel’s Sustainability Profile on the REAP website.