Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Energy / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Clothing & Accessories / Style / Personal Care Products / Community / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Style
Celebrate Father’s Day the Local Way 2019
Your 2019 Father's Day gift guide from the REAP community
June 5, 2019 by Centaine Hlushak on Alberta Apparel, Black Sheep Mattress Company, Bumble Bee Baskets, Calgary Arts Development, Claudia T Photography, Deane House, Devil's Head Coffee, Eau Claire Distillery, Fiasco Gelato, Gemstone Grass-Fed Beef, GoElectric, Greengate Garden Centre, Hotel Arts , Kent of Inglewood, Knifewear, Lowen's, Mañana Imports and Gifts, Neal's Yard Remedies, River Cafe, The Apothecary in Inglewood, Top Grass Cattle Company, True Büch Kombucha, Vertical Oxygen, Village Brewery, YYC Beeswax
Father’s Day is coming up fast. On June 16, celebrate the father figure in your life by showering him with local gifts that make a difference to our community:
- Alberta Apparel is a lifestyle clothing brand, designed in Calgary, made in Canada, and inspired by our province. Apparel includes shirts, sweaters, and hats. Click here to shop the catalogue.
- Kent of Inglewood offers a wide array of classic grooming products -- including straight razors, soap, and lathering brushes -- alongside cocktail accessories, pocket knives, and axes. Shop online, or visit the shop at 1319 9 Ave SE.
- Lowen’s Skincare is a natural skincare brand made with predominantly local ingredients. Pick up some hyper-local products, including the honey-flavoured, bee-rescuing Be Local Lip Balm – and a tattoo aftercare balm made in partnership with the Old Crow Tattoo Parlour. Available online or at these retailers -- now including all Co-Op locations!
- Manana Imports & Gifts is a family-owned business in Kensington, stuffed to the rafters with worldly treasures including clothes, incense, instruments, and décor purchased fair-trade from makers in developing countries. Visit them at 1132 Kensington Rd NW.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies is a natural and organic skincare brand brought to Canada from the United Kingdom. Its dedicated men’s line includes moisturizers, face, and body wash. Visit the shop online, or in person at 2207 4 St SW.
- The Apothecary in Inglewood is the neighbourhood’s one-stop wellness shop, from essential oils to personal care products and more. Its shaving and beard care line, Jack, is scented with lavender, lemon, black pepper, and blood orange. Visit the shop online, or in person at 921 9 Ave SE.
- YYC Beeswax makes all-natural home and wellness products, from candles to food wraps, lip balms and lotion bars, with beeswax harvested sustainably from her hives. Check out her shop online.
- Bumble Bee Baskets curates gift baskets loaded with local treasures. Choose from any of its pre-set Father’s Day baskets, or order a custom one by calling 403-201-1166.
- Fiasco Gelato is Calgary’s best-known gelato company, for its quality handmade products, unique flavours and ingredients. Get Dad a pair of tickets to the next Gelato Academy, where he can learn how to make his own gelato to take home.
- Knifewear is Calgary’s source for Japanese kitchen knives – which are known for harder steel and sharper blades than knives made elsewhere. Knifewear places a high value on customer service, so bring Dad along for the experience of picking out his new kitchen staple. Visit the shop in person at 1316 9 Ave SE or online.
- Mob Honey is a local beekeeper, churning out delicious honey of several varieties. Consider sponsoring a hive through Mob Honey in your dad’s honour.
- Calgary’s local food scene is a unique experience. Take your dad out for brunch, lunch, or dinner at Deane House, Raw Bar, Yellow Door Bistro, or River Cafe.
- If your dad is a carnivore, throw some choice grass-fed beef cuts from Gemstone Grass Fed Beef or Top Grass Cattle Co on the grill.
- Black Sheep Mattress Company makes all their own pillows, mattresses, and sheets from scratch using sustainable materials in their factory -- just behind their showroom on Blackfoot Trail. The founder’s father is a carpenter himself and works alongside his son to build the frames.
- GoElectric is Calgary’s only used car dealership working exclusively with hybrid and electric vehicles. Take dad to test-drive a Tesla, or if he’s a classic car nut, contribute to the conversion of his four-wheeled baby to become electric-powered -- keeping all the esthetics with none of the nasty emissions.
- Greengate Garden Centres is a long-standing family-owned garden store in the south of Calgary, touting everything a green thumb would need to grow a beautiful garden.
- Vertical Oxygen is a husband-and-wife duo, crafting living walls -- vertical indoor gardens mounted in walls -- bringing oxygen, colour, and beauty inside.
Beverage Connoisseur Dads:
- Devil’s Head Coffee is a roasterie specializing in sourcing beans from small farming communities around the world. Stop by the roasterie for some fresh coffee, and pick up some brewing and grinding accoutrements for the dad who loves his cup of joe.
- Eau Claire Distillery is a farm-to-glass liquor distillery in Turner Valley, turning out Alberta-made vodka, gin, whiskey – and now canned Gin & Tonic. Visit the distillery for tastings and tours, or purchase bottles at any of these Calgary liquor stores.
- True Buch is a kombucha company that uses natural and organic ingredients like fresh fruit and tea to make flavourful concoctions. It can be purchased on-tap in growlers, or in single-serve bottles – the latter of which provides 50 cents to local charities that serve pets, kids, and the planet.
- Village Brewery is one of Calgary’s standout craft breweries. With new beers for every season made with home-grown ingredients, it’s easy to see why. Find your nearest supplier on this map. If alcohol is not your dad’s thing, Village Brewery just launched its first non-alcoholic IPA.
- Calgary Arts Development is dedicated to the sharing and promotion of creative arts in Calgary. Check out their event listings for a variety of music, dance, plays, and art shows.
- Claudia T Photography is a lifestyle and business photographer. As a gift from the spouses, surprise your hubby with photos from a tasteful boudoir shoot you booked with Claudia to keep the flame burning.
- Peruse our directory for even more businesses that are making Calgary a vibrant place to live and raise our families.
- Show us your local gifts on social media by tagging @reapcalgary on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and using the hashtag #BeLocalYYC.
- Celebrate the father in your life on June 16!
More Stories from our Community
How you can support local from your own home during the pandemic
April 2, 2020
Devour Catering offers heartfelt hospitality
March 6, 2020
Yoga Care breaks barriers to wellness
February 5, 2020
Making accessible spaces for Calgary’s visually-impaired with Universal Access and CNIB
January 24, 2020