Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Business Services / Building & Design / Business Services / Waste Reduction / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Clothing & Accessories / Style / Personal Care Products / Community / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Money / Style
Do Mother’s Day the local way
2019 Mother's Day gift guide
Mother’s Day is this weekend, and in keeping with tradition, we have compiled a list of locally-sourced and ethical gift ideas for the motherly figure you are celebrating this Sunday:
- Alberta Apparel is a line of comfy and functional shirts, sweaters, tanks and hats -- all designed with our beautiful province in mind.
- Ellie Bianca is a skincare company built on the foundation of female empowerment, specializing in body oils using ingredients harvested sustainably by women in Chad.
- Kent of Inglewood is a classically-inspired shave shop, but it’s not just for men! Whether you want to treat your mom to some fancy new soaps or even a hand-hewn axe, Kent of Inglewood is your go-to spot.
- Lowen’s Skincare is a natural skincare company backed by scientific evidence to produce safe, effective skincare solutions for even the most sensitive skin types. If your mom has a soft spot for bees, check out the Be Local Lip Balm, from which 50 cents is donated to Apiaries and Bees for Communities’ Bumblebee Rescue program.
- Manana Imports is a worldly family-owned shop in Kensington, packed to the rafters with treasures directly from makers all over the developing world, from clothes to jewelry, handbags, and instruments.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies is a women-owned skincare company defined by its commitment to sourcing natural ingredients from all over the world to create high-end skincare products infused with rose, frankincense, and more.
- SwizzleSticks SalonSpa is a long-standing salon and spa in Kensington, deeply rooted in sustainability efforts from the products featured in its services and retail, to preserving the bee population with its own hives, and recycling hair clippings to become oil berms, sucking up spilled oil from our oceans. Treat mom to a hair and cosmetics makeover in the salon or send her for a massage or nail treatment in the spa upstairs.
- The Apothecary in Inglewood is Calgary’s one-stop wellness shop, with house-blended essential oils, bath and beauty products, and an extensive selection of zero-waste accoutrements from stylish sandwich bags to reusable straws.
- YYC Beeswax is a maker and beekeeper, churning out honey and beeswax-infused candles, bath and beauty products.
- Giving mom the gift of a home-cooked meal? Get the freshest and most local ingredients from grocery stores like Bite, Blush Lane, or Community Natural Foods. Or get the groceries brought straight to your door by SPUD! The Be Fresh line of ready-made products, which you can buy in Blush Lane locations or through SPUD.ca, is a great way to stock mom’s freezer so your gift can keep on giving.
- Bumble Bee Baskets crafts gift baskets stuffed with goodies from local, ethical, and sustainable companies. Get a custom basket or choose from the catalogue of pre-made baskets.
- Deane House is a historic restaurant on the grounds of Fort Calgary, owned by the same team behind River Cafe. This year, the restaurant is hosting a Mother’s Day Brunch, get your tickets here!
- Fiasco Gelato is an award-winning Italian ice cream company. All of its gelato flavours are crafted in-house with as many local, natural, and sustainable ingredients. Its recently-launched spring line of flavours features the extremely popular Mini Egg gelato.
- Gemstone Grass-Fed Beef is a family-owned ranch in Gem, Alberta. You can find their cuts of beef at Spragg’s Meat Shop in Calgary, or click here to order the subscription service.
- Knifewear is a passionate purveyor of Japanese knives. Perfect for any mom who loves to cook!
- River Cafe is an award-winning restaurant in Prince’s Island Park. Finally open for 2019 after months of flood mitigation work, this restaurant goes above and beyond the call for local ingredients, sourcing many of its kitchen staples from its own backyard -- literally, from the garden on site.
- Top Grass Cattle Co. is a cattle ranch just outside of Calgary that specializes in grass-fed beef. Click here to find your nearest supplier and throw something on the grill for mom.
- Black Sheep Mattress Company hand-crafts its mattresses, pillows, and sheet sets in-house from its Calgary factory and showroom. Give your mom the gift of the best sleep ever!
- Greengate Garden Centres is a haven for anyone who loves plants and gardening. Purchase a gift card online or head into the store to pick out a stunning orchid or other new addition for your mom’s home or hanging baskets or planters for her yard. Kids need a gift for their mom? Bring them in on May 11 and 12 to put together a free hanging planter, but only while supplies last!
- SAMM European Design is an interior design consultant. Give your mom the gift of a refreshed living space by hiring Swantje for a consultation.
- Soiled Diapers Composting takes away dirty diapers to be made into nutrient-rich compost. Since they can’t be placed in The City’s green bins, this service makes a unique and handy gift for new moms or those with young children.
- Vertical Oxygen creates Living Walls for homes and offices. Give your mom a bit of extra green in her life with the installation of one of these tropical vertical garden-meets-feature-walls.
Mom’s Day Out:
- Calgary Reads’ Big Book Sale is this weekend. Take your bookworm mom out to hunt down great deals on new and used books at the Calgary Curling Club, all while raising funds for Calgary Reads’ children’s literacy programs.
- Claudia T Photography believes that women -- especially moms -- deserve to feel as beautiful and comfortable in front of the camera as they do behind it. Book a family photo shoot with Claudia for a gift that will last a lifetime.
Beverage Connoisseur Moms:
- Devil’s Head Coffee is a local roasterie specializing in small-batch coffee from small farmers in developing countries. Whether your mom likes whole bean or cold brew, take her down to the roasterie to pick out her pick-me-up beverage.
- Eau Claire Distillery is a proudly farm-to-glass distillery in Turner Valley, crafting vodka, gin, whiskey and more. It also regularly offers tours and tastings at its facility.
- First Choice Cellars is a wine importer specializing in the small and hard-to-find brands. Get in touch with Bernie to find the perfect wine to toast your mom.
- True Buch is Canada’s first on-tap kombucha company, crafting unique flavours with organic fruit and local tea.
- Village Brewery is a craft brewery deeply rooted in the Calgary community, with a variety of seasonal brews created with local ingredients.
- Click the links above to check out the businesses mentioned in this article.
- Check out our directory for even more examples of local businesses that care.
- Tag us in your Mother’s Day festivities on social media, @reapcalgary across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Tell us why you love mom and all she does!