Exciting changes to our 6th Annual Be Local Awards
REAP's Be Local Awards takes on new focus
More Stories from our Community
Diversity & Inclusion Leader Award rewards progressive workplaces
Sustainability for Breakfast becomes Appetite for Sustainability
Four local and inspiring books for National Read a Book Day
Make the most of the rest of summer break with Calgary Reads’ Summer Activity Challenge
The 2018 Be Local Awards, delivered in partnership with First Calgary Financial, showcase the amazing work of REAP members in Calgary and beyond. Those familiar with our programming may notice something different with the 2018 run.
This year we are celebrating the impact of local businesses in these six leadership categories, which includes two new additions:
- Encompassing Energy Leader: Presented by Bullfrog Power to the REAP business with the most comprehensive energy conservation program;
- Community Economy Leader: Presented by Thrive to a REAP member that is building a thriving, resilient and inclusive economy for all.
- Empowering Employees Leader (formerly Empowering Communities Leader): Presented by Vibrant Communities Calgary to a REAP member that is affecting meaningful and sustainable progress towards reducing poverty through employee-centred practices that build resilience.
- B Corp Leader: Presented by Business Development Bank of Canada, awarded to the REAP member with a B Corp certification that also demonstrates active involvement with its community, employee practices, and environmental stewardship.
- NEW: Diversity & Inclusion Leader: Presented by Universal Access and Prospect Human Services to a REAP member that values the perspectives and contributions of all people and incorporates diverse needs, assets and insight into the design and implementation of universal and inclusive programs.
- NEW: Communications Leader: Presented by GOOD Company Graphic Design to a REAP member that has demonstrated the most effective use of design to communicate impact and/or encourage engagement.
With 26 nominees creating economic, community and environmental benefits through their organizational initiatives, there is plenty of inspiration to garner your votes. Starting September 17, a new article will be published to the homepage each week featuring the nominees for one of the award categories. Links to vote for each of the week’s featured nominees will accompany the article and be front and centre on the homepage. A new list will appear on Sunday at midnight until October 22nd.
Although there won’t be awards for fan favourites as in previous years, your votes for the featured nominees each week will be factored into the judges’ decisions for each of the award categories.
The winners will be announced following the Be Local Awards ceremony on November 14.
“As a local credit union, it is our mission to Make Money Make a Difference,” says Teri Buckley, Community Innovation Manager at First Calgary Financial. “Our partnership with REAP over the past nine years has given us an opportunity to celebrate and bring together this inspiring network of businesses and non-profit organizations, and we look forward to seeing everyone at the Be Local Awards.”
We can’t wait to share with you 26 inspiring examples of how purpose-driven local businesses are making Calgary great!
- Click here to see winners of Be Local Awards past.
- Click here to subscribe to the Local Buzz newsletter for updates on the Be Local Awards and where to vote.
- Follow REAP on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to follow along with the Be Local Awards.
- Want a chance to win a pair of tickets to the awards ceremony at River Café? Get social each time you vote, using #BeLocalYYC and @reapcalgary, for a chance to win. The more you vote and share, the better your chances. Contest winners will be announced through REAP’s social channels on Monday, October 29.