Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Business Services / Technology / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Business Services / Community / Family / Food & Drink
First Calgary Financial presents the winners of the 6th Annual Be Local Awards
Unveiling your 2018 Be Local Award champions
From September 17-October 28, Calgarians voted for their favourite Be Local Award-nominated REAP businesses on our website.
In combination with those votes, this year’s Be Local Awards went to six local businesses that are going above and beyond through six separate leadership awards that recognize a holistic approach to energy conservation, strengthening the local economy through triple bottom line business models, fighting poverty, B Corp certification, communications strategies, and inclusive workplaces. Our partner organizations - Bullfrog Power, Thrive, Vibrant Communities Calgary, BDC, GOOD Company Graphic Design, and Universal Access with Prospect Human Services respectively - determined these winners based on their selection criteria:
- Bullfrog Power has named Stephanie Hrehirchuk the Encompassing Energy Leader for her efforts to promote environmental stewardship in children through her books, and planting trees with each copy sold.
- Thrive has named Bite Grocer and Eatery the Community Economy Leader for its dedication to community engagement through food.
- Vibrant Communities Calgary has named Fiasco Gelato the Empowering Employees Leader for its commitment to supporting its employees and encouraging physical and psychological wellbeing through participation in the Virgin Pulse Challenge.
- Business Development Bank of Canada has named Fiasco Gelato the B Corp Leader for its commitment to embodying B Corp values and thriving in the face of adversity.
- GOOD Company Graphic Design has named Juice Creative the Communications Leader, recognizing its video PSA for the Calgary Centre for Sexuality for its production quality and emotional impact.
- Universal Access and Prospect Human Services have named Versett the Diversity & Inclusion Leader for its commitment to promoting empathic practices and inclusive employment strategies both within its own office and beyond through public sharing of its own research.
A tremendous thank-you to our presenting sponsor, First Calgary Financial, for their continuous support of REAP’s Be Local Awards for six years running.
We’d also like to thank all of our leadership award partners and Ingrid Kue Photography.
And thank you for voting! Your support for local business is making our city a more vibrant place.