Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Community / Family
Five ways to support local this Canada Day weekend
Celebrate Canada in your local community
June 28, 2018 by Centaine Tyler on Blush Lane Organic Market, Community Natural Foods, Eau Claire Distillery, Green Calgary, Highwood Crossing, Hotel Arts , Hotel Arts Kensington, Hotel Blackfoot, Mitchell Bros Beef, River Cafe, Sunnyside Natural Market, Top Grass Cattle Company
The Canada Day long weekend is the kickoff for fun in the sun and long summer nights. If you don’t know what you want to do to celebrate Canada’s 151st Birthday, we’ve compiled a few locally-inspired suggestions below:
- Throw a barbecue with beef selections from Mitchell Bros Beef or Top Grass Cattle Co. For your non-carnivorous needs, swing by Bite, Blush Lane Organic Market, Community Natural Foods, or Sunnyside Natural Market for some fresh vegetables.
- Take a picnic lunch from River Café. Every summer, River Café curates hyper-local picnic baskets for you to take out along Prince’s Island Park. This year’s baskets feature sandwiches made with Highwood Crossing’s sourdough rye bread, and their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert – all made from organic grains from Highwood Crossing’s family farm in High River.
- Take a day trip to explore Alberta. Eau Claire Distillery makes spirits in Turner Valley, where they regularly host tours and tastings – click here to learn more.
- Visit the Calgary Zoo with Hotel Blackfoot’s Panda-monium Package, which offers up to four tickets to the Calgary Zoo to visit the long-awaited pandas, two sets of panda ears, and an exclusive scavenger hunt in addition to the room and breakfast.
- Visit the East Village Street Fair, which features 80 different vendors and non-profits at East Village Junction – situated between Studio Bell and Fort Calgary. The whole event is kept green with the help of Green Calgary.
- Share drinks on the patio at Hotel Arts Kensington (formerly Kensington Riverside Inn). To celebrate its rebrand, the in-house restaurant Oxbow is offering $7 glasses of Domaine Chandon bubbly all summer long, starting this weekend.
Happy Canada Day!
More Stories from our Community
This International Women’s Day, support a woman-owned or co-owned business
February 27, 2019
Mortgage360 brings circular economy to mortgage industry
March 13, 2019
Devil’s Head Coffee puts community first
March 7, 2019
Claudia T Photography empowers women to develop from negatives
March 6, 2019