Four local causes to support on Giving Tuesday
This Tuesday, give back to your community
Giving Tuesday is a movement to combat the consumerism of Black Friday and Cyber Monday by highlighting charities to give back to in one day. In 2018 alone, Canadians raised over $15 million dollars according to Giving Tuesday Canada’s annual report.
This year’s Giving Tuesday falls on December 3, and we are proud to showcase four causes you can support from the Be Local community:
- Calgary Reads is a non-profit dedicated to researching and improving literacy and book access for children in Calgary. According to statistics from First Books Canada, nearly 25% of Canadian households don’t own a single book, and poor literacy skills have a direct correlation with lower lifetime earnings, voter turnout, volunteering, self-esteem, and empathy. In 2018 Calgary Reads provided 44,430 free books to children and their families.
- Grow Calgary is the city's "fresh food bank," donating sustainably-grown produce to people in need from its urban farm. Its programs include aiding veterans with PTSD through farm therapy, and is home to our Community Orchards program -- where our members have sponsored over 630 fruit-bearing trees and shrubs.
- Jasper Place Wellness Centre is a non-profit helping Edmonton’s vulnerable population through innovative and accessible health and community-based solutions. One of these solutions is the social enterprise Redemptive Developments, hiring those facing barriers to employment -- such as addiction recovery and transition from homelessness -- to recycle mattresses in Edmonton and Calgary.
- Momentum is a non-profit tackling poverty in Calgary by providing those in need with the financial tools to succeed -- such as financial coaching, savings programs, micro-loans and business development. In 2018 alone, Momentum supported 2,495 people through its programs, helped garner $313,000 in matched savings, and helped launch 62 businesses.
No matter where you decide to allocate your donations for Giving Tuesday, we are grateful for your efforts to support charities like these.
- Click the above links to learn more about these organizations.
- Click here to learn more about Giving Tuesday.
- Peruse our directory for even more incredible non-profits and businesses.
- Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @reapcalgary to show us how you’re giving back on Giving Tuesday!