Four ways to honour Earth Hour this year
Going beyond the hour for the earth
For the past 12 years, Earth Hour has been a worldwide tradition, turning off all non-essential electricity from 8-9 p.m. on March 30.
Its mission is to demonstrate that small change like shutting off lights for an hour can amount to a big difference if enough people get involved. This year, we encourage you to go “beyond the hour” and check out the following ways that you could make an impact on your environment:
- Bullfrog Power is Canada’s leading source for green electricity and natural gas, offsetting more than 1 million tonnes of CO2 from our atmosphere over the past decade. Consider implementing Bullfrog Power into your home or business to create positive change through your power bill. Use code REAP when you register online to get a discount.
- Calgary Unplugged is Open Streets’ annual public event celebrating Earth Hour for Calgarians of all ages. Come to Confluence Plaza on St. Patrick’s Island for games, a pedal-powered dance party, and a brewery tour by bike.
- Evergreen Theatre is Calgary’s only theatre company dedicated entirely to environmental stewardship for children. On March 30, Evergreen Theatre is putting on a free musical production of The Three Little Pigs – with an environmentalist twist. There are shows at 1 pm and 3 pm and displays from environmental partners. Click here to register.
- Sometimes making change (pun intended) is as easy as bringing a reusable shopping bag into Community Natural Foods. As part of its Change for the Earth program, each reusable bag and/or container earns you a 5-cent credit, which can be donated to one of three non-profits featured in-store that benefit people, planet, or animals that rotate each month. For the month of April, REAP is thrilled to be one of those three!
- The Apothecary in Inglewood has made it its mission to be Calgary’s one-stop wellness shop and purveyor of all things zero-waste. It boasts an extensive refillery program for local and naturally-produced essential oils, beauty products, homecare products, and more.
- Click the above links for more information on these businesses, events, and initiatives.
- Don’t forget to shut off your lights from 8-9 pm for Earth Hour next Saturday night!
- Looking for extra ways to save energy (and money) in your home? Click here to checkout Bullfrog Power’s conservation e-tips booklet!
- For even more businesses that are making a difference for the earth and its inhabitants, check out our directory.