Happy holidays, from our team to yours 2018
Signing off for the holidays with well wishes
“Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
It is with warm hearts that we look back on our 11th year of operations with fond memories. We saw many changes in 2018, including these highlights:
- After 10 years as president, our founder – Stephanie, took on the role of Board Chair and promoted Centaine to the position of Community Leader, overseeing REAP’s programming.
- Our annual Be Local Awards, presented by First Calgary Financial, were refocused to celebrate six leadership categories and we set a record with 26 total applications!
- Acting as a local advisor to Buy Social Canada, alongside Momentum and Thrive, REAP contributed to the development of a social procurement strategy for The City of Calgary, which will help connect purpose-driven businesses with government buyers to create more social and economic benefits in our communities. Earlier this week City Councillors voted to implement the recommended 3-year plan.
As always, we are inspired by the 125 businesses that make up REAP’s community. This year they collectively contributed:
- $21 billion to Alberta’s economy
- Employed 4,500 Calgarians
- Donated $25 million to local charities
- Volunteered 37,000 hours, and
- Diverted 6,800 tonnes of waste from the landfill and 2.1 million tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere.
Changemaking is tiring work. We firmly believe in the power of rest and rejuvenation to keep us grounded and ready for more social impact in 2019. To create space for love and joy to fuel our creativity, we’ll be closed for the holidays from December 22 through January 13.
No matter what holiday you’re celebrating – Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or if you’re celebrating nothing at all – we wish you much happiness in the company of loved ones and the nourishment of your body and spirit. Let’s all bring our best selves into 2019!
Team REAP: Centaine Tyler, Fiona Simpson-Kane, and Joannie Kwok
And REAP’s Board of Directors: Stephanie Jackman, Lisa Shelley, Bill Smith, and Evelyne Nyairo