Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Personal Care Products / Community / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Money / Style
How you can support local from your own home during the pandemic
17 local businesses you can buy from right now
The COVID-19 pandemic has made its way to Alberta. As would-be patrons practice safety measures of social distancing and quarantine, many local businesses are in need of support.
Now more than ever is the time to be local and buy local. The following Be Local members have online shops which remain open during this tumultuous time:
- Black Sheep Mattress Company -- Sleep is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Black Sheep Mattress Company makes mattresses, pillows, sheets, and more from locally-sourced and sustainable materials -- crafted by hand in its factory off of Blackfoot Trail. Purchase something now, or order a gift card to use at a later date.
- Blush Lane Organic Market -- While the “panic-buying” dust appears to be settling, it’s never too late to stock up on nourishment for yourself and your family. Blush Lane’s delivery service, SPUD, holds its inventory of vitamins, supplements, and natural remedies, cleaning supplies, and of course, local and organic groceries in a warehouse completely separated from the public. Yes, that includes the ever-coveted toilet paper.
- Calgary Dollars -- With entirely app-based transactions, the Calgary Dollars and Be Local apps -- both of which are available on Android and iOS -- can connect customers with a myriad of local businesses and enable them to pay anywhere from 10-100% in the complementary currency.
- Deane House & River Cafe -- Everyone could use something to look forward to. Purchase a gift card online for Deane House or River Cafe to enjoy when the dust settles.
- Devil’s Head Coffee -- Stay caffeinated while you work remotely with fair trade beans roasted right here in Calgary. The roasterie is open to a limited number of customers if you want to purchase new coffee equipment alongside fresh-ground java.
- Ellie Bianca -- Self-care is important to maintain during these stressful times. Ellie Bianca is a skincare line specializing in body oils made with ingredients sourced from Chad and Kenya, where Ellie Bianca employs women at a fair wage.
- Fiasco Gelato -- Get your sweet tooth fix with a variety of unique flavours made with local ingredients.
- Hotel Arts -- The boutique hotel in downtown Calgary has launched a curbside delivery and takeout for four-course Prix Fixe Dinners, with new features every week. Wine and Village Brewery beers are also available upon request.
- Lowen’s Skincare -- Made with sustainable, safe ingredients backed by science Lowen’s Skincare is well-known for its products for every member of the family. From diaper balms to bubble bath paste.
- Manana Imports -- With unique treasures from around the world, Manana Imports has lots of interesting things to choose from. Peruse the online shop or message the store on Facebook to make a purchase and support artisans in the developing world.
- Sunnycider -- Calgary’s first cidery, Sunnycider has growlers of its signature hard cider made with rescued fruit available online.
- Top Grass Cattle Co. -- Grass-fed beef raised on a ranch just east of Drumheller, Top Grass has a wide variety of cuts available for purchase, from burgers and broth to steaks.
- True Buch -- For the first time ever, True Buch kombucha is available for purchase online. The first draught kombucha company in Canada, True Buch crafts its beverages with as many local, sustainable, and organic ingredients as one can fit in a growler.
- Village Brewery -- A craft beer brewery built on community, Village Brewery is dedicated to supporting the city and its spirit. Regular and non-alcoholic beers are available online in addition to merchandise.
- YYC Beeswax -- Purchase handmade beeswax products like lip balms, wraps, lotion bars and candles. Or get crafty and order a candlemaking kit to while away the time in self-isolation and learn a new skill.
- YYC Growers and Distributors -- Connecting urban and rural farms to the people, YYC Growers & Distributors’ Harvest Boxes harbour fresh produce for pickup every week.
From all of us, stay safe and be local.
- Click the links above to connect with these businesses.
- Please note that while the above information is accurate at the time of publication, the best way to verify if a business is still operational is to connect with the business directly. Or check our online database for updates.