Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Clothing & Accessories / Style / Personal Care Products / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Money / Style
Locally-sourced gift ideas for Dad on Father’s Day
Celebrate Father's Day the localist way
June 6, 2018 by Centaine Tyler on Alberta Apparel, Bumble Bee Baskets, Deane House, Eau Claire Distillery, Fiasco Gelato, Grate & Barrel, Greengate Garden Centre, Hotel Arts , Hotel Blackfoot, Kent of Inglewood, Knifewear, Lantern, Lowen's, Mañana Imports and Gifts, Mitchell Bros Beef, Neal's Yard Remedies, River Cafe, The Apothecary in Inglewood, Theatre Junction GRAND, Tree Era, True Buch Kombucha, Village Brewery Tweet
More Stories from our Community
Communications Leader Award brings effective messaging to the forefront
October 9, 2018
Bullfrog Power recognizes thinking green with Encompassing Energy Leader
October 15, 2018
Diversity & Inclusion Leader Award rewards progressive workplaces
September 17, 2018
Four local and inspiring books for National Read a Book Day
September 4, 2018
Father’s Day is on June 17th this year, and we’re excited to share our picks of localized gifts for the father figure in your life.
- Alberta Apparel is a lifestyle clothing brand, designed in Calgary, made in Canada, and inspired by our province. Apparel includes shirts, sweaters, and hats. Click here to shop the catalogue.
- Manana Imports & Gifts is a family-owned business in Kensington, stuffed to the rafters with worldly treasures including clothes, incense, instruments, and décor purchased fair-trade from makers in developing countries. Visit them at 1132 Kensington Rd NW.
- Kent of Inglewood offers a wide array of classic grooming products -- including straight razors, soap, and lathering brushes -- alongside cocktail accessories, pocket knives, and axes. Shop online, or visit the shop at 1319 9 Ave SE.
- Lowen’s is a natural skincare brand made with predominantly local ingredients. Pick up some hyper-local products, including the honey-flavoured, bee-rescuing Be Local Lip Balm – and a tattoo aftercare balm made in partnership with the Old Crow Tattoo Parlour. Available online or at these retailers.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies is a natural and organic skincare brand brought to Canada from the United Kingdom. Its dedicated men’s line includes moisturizers, face, and body wash. Visit the shop online, or in person at 2207 4 St SW.
- The Apothecary in Inglewood is the neighbourhood’s one-stop wellness shop. Just in time for Father’s Day, The Apothecary in Inglewood is bringing back its shaving and beard care line, Jack. Visit the shop online, or in person at 921 9 Ave SE.
- Bumble Bee Baskets curates gift baskets loaded with local treasures. Choose from any of its pre-set Father’s Day baskets, or order a custom one by calling 403-201-1166.
- Calgary’s restaurant scene has offerings for all tastes, from fancy (Deane House, Raw Bar, River Café, and Yellow Door Bistro) to casual (Fiasco Gelato, Fine Diner Bistro, Grate & Barrel)
- Knifewear is Calgary’s source for Japanese kitchen knives – which are known for harder steel and sharper blades than knives made elsewhere. Knifewear places a high value on customer service, so bring Dad along for the experience of picking out his new kitchen staple. Visit the shop in person at 1316 9 Ave SE or online.
- Mitchell Bros Beef is a family-owned ranch near Pincher Creek. Sign your dad up for the Beef Subscription service to have 10 pounds of meat in various cuts delivered to his door every month.
Beverage Connoisseur Dads:
- Eau Claire Distillery is a farm-to-glass liquor distillery in Turner Valley, turning out Alberta-made vodka, gin, whiskey – and now canned Gin & Tonic. Visit the distillery for tastings and tours, or purchase bottles at any of these Calgary liquor stores.
- True Buch is a kombucha company that uses natural and organic ingredients like fresh fruit and tea to make flavourful concoctions. It can be purchased on-tap in growlers, or in single-serve bottles – the latter of which provides 50 cents to local charities that serve pets, kids, and the planet.
- Village Brewery was recently declared the best craft brewery in the city by Best of Calgary voters. With new beers for every season made with home-grown ingredients, it’s easy to see why. Find your nearest supplier on this map.
- Lantern is a high-powered flashlight designed in Calgary, and come in regular, mini, and keychain-sized lights. The standard size also includes a USB port to charge its own batteries and your phone. Use promo code DADSDAY20 for 20% off site-wide.
- Greengate Garden Centre is a long-standing family-owned garden store in the south of Calgary, touting everything a green thumb would need to grow a beautiful garden.
- TreeEra is a subscription service that plants trees – from 100-200 for individuals -- every year in deforested areas of Canada and the United States. One-off tree plantings are also available through its retail products: Tall Timber coffee by Heritage Roasting Company, a bracelet made from reclaimed wood by Playfield, or an embroidered patch, to plant one tree, three trees or five trees respectively.
- The Laugh Shop is Hotel Blackfoot’s in-house comedy room, featuring stand-up comics big and small. Click here to purchase tickets to a dinner show Thursdays-Sundays.
- Theatre Junction GRAND is home to Dave Kelly Live, a talk show with live musical guests, games, and stories hosted by local TV personality Dave Kelly. June 13th is the show’s annual Father’s Day Special, where Dave’s own father will be the guest. Purchase regular or VIP tickets here.
- Peruse our directory for even more businesses that are making Calgary a vibrant place to live and raise our families.
- Show us your local gifts on social media by tagging @reapcalgary on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and using the hashtag #BeLocalYYC.
- Celebrate the father in your life on June 17!