Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Business Services / Building & Design / Business Services / Technology / Energy / Food & Drink / Beverages / Business Services / Community / Family / Health & Wellness / Money
Presenting your 2019 Be Local Award winners!
Winners of 7th Annual Be Local Awards unveiled at Soul of the Next Economy Forum
From September 17-October 28, Calgarians voted for their favourite Be Local Award-nominated REAP businesses on our website.
Those six weeks of voting culminated in the 7th Annual Be Local Awards ceremony, held on Thursday November 14 at the Soul of the Next Economy Forum and hosted by media icon Barb Higgins.
These awards went to six local businesses that are going above and beyond through leadership awards that recognize a holistic approach to energy conservation, strengthening the local economy through community economic development, fighting poverty, B Corp certification, communications strategies, and inclusive workplaces.
Our partner organizations - Bullfrog Power, Thrive, Vibrant Communities Calgary, Chandos Construction, GOOD Company Graphic Design, and Universal Access with Prospect Human Services respectively - determined these winners based on their selection criteria:
- Bullfrog Power has named Parallel Property Solutions the Encompassing Energy Leader for its unique approach to mitigating carbon emissions through digital showings of rental properties and proactive facilities management.
- Thrive has named True Buch Kombucha the Community Economy Leader for its commitment to supporting community initiatives, localizing its supply chain, and empowering female entrepreneurs through the True Incubator program.
- Vibrant Communities Calgary has named Dogma Training & Pet Services the Empowering Employees Leader for its commitment to providing a well-rounded work environment for its staff, from education incentives to financial support.
- Chandos Construction has named Mortgage360 the B Corp Leader for its commitment to supporting local initiatives through mortgages and broker fees.
- GOOD Company Graphic Design has named Goodpin the Communications Leader for its innovative online platform to revolutionize corporate giving.
- Universal Access and Prospect Human Services have named SPUD the Diversity & Inclusion Leader for its holistic approach to inclusion of employees with disabilities, providing them a platform to teach the rest of the team about their world and language.
Congratulations to all of last night’s winners, and thank you to our sponsors for their continuous support. Thank you to Barb Higgins for being a fabulous emcee, and to Ingrid Kue photography for beautifully capturing the event! Last but not least, thank you to everyone who voted, your support for local business is making our city a more vibrant place.