Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Business Services / Waste Reduction / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Clothing & Accessories / Style / Personal Care Products / Community / Family / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Money
Put local gifts on your wishlist this holiday season
Holiday gifts from REAP member businesses
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! And as is tradition, we are excited to share with you over a dozen gift ideas inspired by local businesses in the REAP network:
For the Homebodies
- Black Sheep Mattress Company has been making natural mattresses since 2011. Since then, the company has also been making its own pillows and bedding from natural and organic fibres. Gift cards can be purchased online for the gift of sleep, or a handmade sheep plushie for a new bedtime companion.
- Greengate Garden Centres has been a staple of Calgary’s gardening scene for decades. Check out its seasonal rotation of potted plants, gardening supplies, and holiday décor in-store, or purchase a gift card online.
- Hope Cleaning is a sustainably-minded cleaning company dedicated to getting women in need back on their feet through meaningful work. Make arrangements with Hope Cleaning to get your loved ones’ home in tip-top shape.
- Soiled Diapers Composting takes on the nasty-but-necessary job of keeping diapers out of the landfill. A perfect gift for parents!
- The Apothecary in Inglewood is the neighbourhood’s one-stop wellness shop, from zero-waste home goods to essential oils blended in-house.
- YYC Beeswax is a maker and beekeeper, churning out honey and beeswax-infused candles, bath and beauty products.
For the Cultured
- Calgary Arts Development is our city’s connector to the arts. Check out their event calendar for theatre, music and more.
- Claudia T Photography is a lifestyle photographer from family to boudoir. Book an appointment with Claudia to give the gift of lasting memories.
- Hotel Arts is a boutique hotel in downtown Calgary. Book a staycation and enjoy the recently-winterized pool.
- Manana Imports is a store on Kensington Road, bursting at the seams with an eclectic array of jewelry, clothes, décor, and musical instruments from the far corners of the globe. Manana Imports is family-owned, and they regularly visit and trade directly with their artisans in the developing world.
For the Foodies
- Hosting a holiday dinner? Get the freshest and most local ingredients from grocery stores like Blush Lane or Community Natural Foods. Or get the groceries brought straight to your door by SPUD!
- Fiasco Gelato is an award-winning company that believes happiness comes in the form of gelato. Shop the holiday range online, at your local grocery store, or visit the café in Mayland Heights for unique flavours you can’t find anywhere else. Or purchase gift tickets to the Gelato Academy for a hands-on experience.
- River Cafe is an award-winning fixture of the hyper-local Calgary food scene. Gift cards can be purchased online for a quintessentially-Canadian dining experience.
For the Beverage Connoisseurs
- Devil’s Head Coffee is a local roasterie specializing in small-batch coffee from small farmers in developing countries.
- Eau Claire Distillery is a proudly farm-to-glass distillery in Turner Valley, crafting vodka, gin, whiskey and more. It also regularly offers tours and tastings at its facility.
- True Buch is Canada’s first on-tap kombucha company, crafting unique flavours with organic fruit and local tea. The company also gives back to the community regularly through a portion of kombucha sales for both growlers and single-served bottles -- which fit nicely in one’s stocking.
- Village Brewery is a craft brewery deeply rooted in the Calgary community, with a variety of seasonal brews created with local ingredients.
For the Beauty Gurus
- Ellie Bianca is a natural skincare company with a mission to uplift, empower, and support women. Specializing in body oils, Ellie Bianca sources its ingredients from a women’s co-op in Chad where the women are paid a living wage. Visit them in-store, online, or at these retailers.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies is a skincare company that uses natural ingredients for luxurious products, including bath and body and aromatherapy. Visit the store on 4th Street or buy online.
- SwizzleSticks SalonSpa has been a pioneer of natural beauty for more than 20 years. Pamper your loved ones with spa treatments or a new look for the festive season – using only eco-friendly products.
For the Children
- Dr For Moms is more than a wellness centre for families. It’s also home to Nature’s Baby Basket, a retail store dedicated to natural and local baby products including toys, clothes, and care products.
- Growing Co is a clothing boutique specializing in Canadian and ethically-made garb for kids and babies. Visit them at Calgary Farmers’ Market and shop the selection! When the child no longer fits the clothes, bring them back to be consigned in exchange for store credit.
- Lowen’s Skincare specializes in natural products formulated for sensitive skin, and it all began with the founder’s daughter Lowen. Kids love the blood orange-scented bubble paste -- a semi-solid bubble bath concoction.
For the Four-legged Children
- Dogma Training & Pet Services helps dogs of all ages overcome behavioral obstacles to create harmony at home, and keeping fido off Santa’s naughty list.
- Muttley Crue is a combination dog groomer and boarding house. Whether it’s a getaway for your dog while you’re out of town or a fresh coat, Muttley Crue has their needs covered.
- On December 6th, visit Momentum for its annual Holiday Open House, featuring family activities, food, and a market entirely of local businesses that Momentum helped start.
- Show us how you’re celebrating local business on social media! Tag @reapcalgary on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and use #BeLocalYYC