Living Locally / Arts & Culture / Food & Drink / Beverages / Food & Drink / Farms / Food & Drink / Grocery / Food & Drink / Restaurants & Cafes / Style / Clothing & Accessories / Style / Personal Care Products / Community / Family / Food & Drink / Health & Wellness / Home & Garden / Style
Show your love the local way this Valentine’s Day
Let us help you celebrate love on February 14
February 12, 2018 by Centaine Tyler on Alora Boutique, Blush Lane Organic Market, Community Natural Foods, Deane House, Eau Claire Distillery, Ellie Bianca, Fiasco Gelato, Fine Diner Bistro, Grate & Barrel, Hotel Arts , Hotel Blackfoot, Kensington Riverside Inn, Lantern, LIV Yoga + Wellness, Lowen's, Meadow Creek Sausage & Meat, Mitchell Bros Beef, Neal's Yard Remedies, River Cafe, SPUD.ca, SwizzleSticks SalonSpa, Theatre Junction GRAND, Top Grass Cattle Company, Top of the Mountain Meats, Village Brewery, WorldTown Cosmetics Co. Tweet
More Stories from our Community
Indulge in local cuisine on Eat What You Want Day
May 11, 2018
Bumble Bee Baskets revolutionizes corporate gifts
May 2, 2018
Dryleaf serves up change on a compostable plate
April 26, 2018
Get your hands dirty in the garden this spring
April 19, 2018
Love is in the air once again, and while you contemplate how you want to spoil the special person in your life this Valentine’s Day, we’ve compiled some suggestions from our directory to inspire you.
- Alora Boutique makes all their jewelry by hand, and each piece is infused with meaning. Pick up an Akoma heart-shaped necklace, or a piece with rose quartz (the gemstone of unconditional love). A percentage of all proceeds goes to local charitable organizations that help women in poverty.
- Ellie Bianca is a skincare line specializing in body oils and serums. Pick up the limited-edition Rose oil or some luxurious bath salts. From now until February 17, save 10% off your online purchase of $50 or more with the code "FROMTHEHEART"
- LIV Yoga + Wellness is a yoga and massage studio in Downtown Calgary. New clients can qualify for discounts on class passes and treatments like 60-minute massage, acupuncture, or cupping.
- Neal’s Yard Remedies’ Valentine’s Day Collection includes natural and organic massage oils, candles, bath salts, and Wild Rose hand cream to pamper your Valentine.
- SwizzleSticks SalonSpa has been operating in Kensington for nearly 30 years. Save some cash with the Valentine’s Spa Sale for treatments from head to toe.
- WorldTown Cosmetics has a wide array of cruelty-free, independent, and often Canadian brands of makeup in every colour imaginable. Store favourites include Calgary’s own Lit Cosmetics loose glitter and Concrete Minerals Vegan Lip Tints.
- Eau Claire Distillery makes all their own vodka, gin, and whiskey from their Turner Valley farm. New for Valentine’s Day is the Cocktail Caddy, a package delivered to your door that includes their Cherry Gin, Tonic Water, chocolate shot glasses (also infused with the gin) by Cōchu chocolatier, two Old Fashioned glasses, a custom cocktail spoon, and a recipe card.
- Village Brewery is known for its seasonally-produced craft beers. To celebrate their fifth anniversary, Village Brewery launched V, a barrel-aged golden Belgium Tripel with notes of white wine.
- Lantern is a Calgary-designed flashlight with a built-in USB charging port for your phone, perfect for your outdoorsy beau.
- Mitchell Bros Beef is a grass-fed beef farm that just launched its own subscription service. Because what carnivore wouldn’t love 10 pounds of beef delivered to their door every month?
- Lowen’s is a family-run skincare line, specializing in hypo-allergenic products made with local ingredients, including Bubble Paste (semi-solid bubble bath), and 17 unique lip balm flavours from Vanilla to Salted Caramel Coffee Bean.
- The Card that Gives takes a unique spin on gift cards, where the recipient can donate the value of the card to their choice of more than 100 charities across North America.
- Fiasco Gelato’s Mayland Heights café is the go-to spot for unique gelato flavours that aren’t part of their grocery lineup. It’s also where they host Gelato Academy, where you can learn how to make your own delicious frozen concoction.
- Grate & Barrel is a cozy little restaurant in Bridgeland, serving up ultra-local grilled cheese sandwiches, pie milkshakes, and soups.
- If you’re cooking from home this year, get your supplies from Blush Lane Organic Market, Community Natural Foods, SPUD.ca, or Sunnyside Natural Market. If meat’s your main dish, pick up something from Meadow Creek Sausage & Meat, Top Grass Beef, or Top of the Mountain Meats.
- Looking to get away from your house for a night or two? Book a room at Hotel Arts, Hotel Blackfoot, or Kensington Riverside Inn for a change of scenery and amazing in-house dining.
- Mealshare is a non-profit dedicated to ending youth hunger by using a “buy-one-give-one” model with local restaurants. Consider dining out at Deane House, Fine Diner Bistro, River Café, or Yellow Door Bistro. Order the dish with the orange fork and plate to feed a child in need.
- Nomad Mobile Gear Rentals offers skis (cross-country and downhill), snowboards, snowshoes, and fat-tire bikes to suit your wintertime adventures.
- Theatre Junction GRAND is all about unique live performances. On Valentine’s Day, Calgarian TV personality Dave Kelly (Breakfast Television) is hosting the Dave Kelly Live and Calgary Folk Music Festival Valentine’s Day Special at the theatre. Click here for regular tickets, and here for the VIP experience (includes set dinner menu, Prosecco, wine and VIP seating).
- Check out the directory for more local businesses that Calgary has to offer.
- Did you get your Valentine something from this list? Show us on social media by tagging @reapcalgary and using the hashtag #BeLocalYYC.