True Buch bottled kombucha gives back
Kombucha wholesaler introduces 12-ounce bottles with a charitable twist
True Buch is a Calgary KomBrewery that handcrafts small batches of kombucha using only organic ingredients.
Until now, True Buch was only available in draught form from a selection of local retailers. With the introduction of 12 ounce bottles – dubbed “The Bottle that Gives Back” to Sunnyside Natural Market this past weekend, True Buch will be available in more places and allows customers to contribute to community initiatives with each purchase.
“We wanted our company to do good. Obviously kombucha does a little bit of good because it’s a healthy product, but we felt like that wasn’t enough,” says Louisa Ferrel, co-owner of True Buch. “We feel like we’re lucky to be given these opportunities in life, and we want to give something back other than our time.”
50 cents from each bottle sold will go to one of four Calgary-based initiatives meticulously chosen by Louisa and her husband Conrad to reflect their commitment to community and the environment:
- The Big Give Project, providing sporting equipment to students and kids who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford it;
- Branch Out Neurological Foundation, which conducts alternative research on neurological diseases and financially supports PhD students in the field;
- Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS), placing animals in foster homes; and
- REAP’s own Community Orchards program (in partnership with Enactus Calgary), offsetting carbon emissions through the creation of beautiful, food producing urban spaces that help nourish the hungry.
“We’re partnering with REAP and Enactus to donate money to plant fruit-bearing trees through the Community Orchards program. We’ve committed to $2,000 for the 2016 orchards,” says Louisa.
“The one thing all [of our community partners] have in common is that they’re very Calgary-based, local and grassroots. Each also have made personal impacts on Conrad and myself.”
True Buch will also be selling kombucha out of popup shops throughout the summer, with a portion of proceeds going towards Little Hippies Foundation, providing free yoga classes to underprivileged children in Calgary.
- Purchase True Buch on tap from the following REAP businesses: CRAFT restaurant + beer market, Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmer’s Market, Market 17, and Wild & Raw Superfood + Juice Bar. Each keg of True Buch's Flavour of the Month sold contributes meals to those in need through Mealshare.
- Purchase True Buch in the new 12 ounce bottles from Sunnyside Natural Market. 50 cents from each bottle of the blueberry rooibos flavour will contribute fruit bearing trees and shrubs to the Community Orchard at Grow Calgary.
- You can also support Community Orchards when you bring your own bag to shop at Sunnyside Natural Market. Through May 31st, your bag credit will go to planting fruiting bearing plants at Calgary Homeless Foundation sites throughout Calgary. Buy the True Buch blueberry rooibos bottled kombucha AND bring your own bag to carry it home and you’ll add to the orchards at BOTH Grow Calgary and Calgary Homeless Foundation residences.
- Learn more about our Community Orchards program here.
- Follow True Buch on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.