World Environment Day sees change in the air
United Nations urges #BeatAirPollution campaign
June 5th is World Environment Day, designated by the United Nations to encourage worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment. This year’s theme is #BeatAirPollution, and we have compiled a few ways in which you can take action yourself, with the help of the REAP community.
- Purchase green energy, natural gas, or fuel from Bullfrog Power, Canada’s largest clean energy provider. Use code REAP at checkout to receive up to $50 off your first bill.
- Consider installing a solar array to heat your home or your water with Eclipse Sustainability Projects, harnessing the power of the sun to offset your carbon footprint.
- Gardening is a tried and true method for improving the environment, from the air to the soil. Get some local, pesticide-free plants from Greengate Garden Centres for your yard, or hire Vertical Oxygen to build a Living Wall -- think feature wall meets garden inside your home.
On the Road:
- It can be hard to get by in Calgary without a car. If you’re in the market for a less expensive hybrid or electric vehicle, GoElectric is the city’s only used car dealership that specializes in these models.
- If the weekly trips to the grocery store are piling on the miles, consider ordering your groceries from SPUD.ca -- a grocery delivery service that specializes in ethical brands and organic products with smaller food miles, and keeping more cars off the road by bringing the necessities to your door.
In the Community:
- If volunteer opportunities are on your radar, Grow Calgary is a Calgary-based urban farming initiative that grows sustainable produce for communities in need. It’s also home to REAP’s Community Orchards program through which REAP businesses have planted over 600 fruit-bearing trees and shrubs to date.
- Click here to read last year’s World Environment Day article on beating plastic pollution.
- Check out the directory for even more sustainable businesses in the community.
- Learn more about World Environment Day.
- Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram @reapcalgary. Use the hashtag #beatairpollution to show us how you’re doing your part!