Be Local is brought to you by REAP!
REAP stands for Respect for the Earth and All People. We're a not-for-profit association for locally owned businesses that care about the community and the environment.
Watch this short video to see how we're connecting business leaders and accelerating impact.
We want you to "Be Local" because your money does more good when it's spent at REAP businesses. It's used to:
- purchase renewable energy that keeps our air clean;
- reduce waste and conserve resources through recycling and composting programs;
- pay Calgary workers a Living Wage so there is less poverty in our communities;
- create orchards in areas where people can't afford fresh fruit; and
- is spent at other local businesses and non-profits so that we can all prosper.
Locally owned businesses spend, on average, 25% more of their revenue locally. This means your money recirculates in Calgary 2-4x and creates more good each time it changes hands. This multiplier effect means you aren't just supporting one business' green efforts, you are supporting many.
REAP businesses are at the forefront of the new economy, demonstrating that business can make a fair profit while contributing to healthy and prosperous communities. We invite you to learn more about how each REAP business is contributing to a more vibrant Calgary on our directory.
Interested in becoming a member? Click here.